Whoa! Is that a title, or what? Jane couldn't help it. We're letting off steam.
Here are the 5 things that will send Jane (and every other woman) screaming in frustration, and, consequently, not get you any sales: (as written about in W3reports)
1. Pop-up ads. We know, you're saying, "Duh!" Everyone hates pop-ups. Well, women hate them more. We hate them so much...we'll scare the children with a blood-curdling scream and...not only leave your site, but never return. Chances are, according to a Hostway survey, that more than half of us will tell friends -- and you will lose more than our business.
2. Another big no-no: dead links! Are you saying, "duh!" again? That's okay. A lot of small businesses forget to check links. Links that lead to other sites, or articles, or surveys, which are out of date, cause women to wonder how well you will take care of them, when you're not taking care of your business.
3. Flash, and slow-loading pages. Puh-lease, how many times do we have to say it? If it takes longer than 5-7 seconds (some folks say 3-5 seconds) for a page to download...we are outta there! Women are too busy to wait for those fancy graphics or your multimedia flash show. Jane is forever surprised at sites aimed directly at women who use flash openings. Why? Why? Why? We aren't there to watch a flick...
4. Bad web design. Now, Jane explained in our book what good web design is -- and it isn't something you get at OfficeMax. Color choice, navigation, graphics, and ease of use are what make a good website. If your only presence is a blog, make it attractive but useful. And don't ask for too much personal information...which leads to #5.
5. Requiring a log-in. Jane can attest to this...we HATE having to log-in before getting what we want at your site. Content sites are known for this -- and we understand why (it costs money to pay those writers!) -- but, make enough of your site free to make our visit worthwhile, please! Allow us access to your catalog, or your references page, or one week's articles, before you require a log-in. We'll give you that information, if you make it worth our while.
And that's it. Today is a busy day...Jane is off to prepare for Blogher!
What's not to like about that?